Our Choice For The Best Ice Hockey Betting Sites in 2023
- Unibet – Tonnes of ice hockey competitions covered
- Bet365 – Ice hockey bet boosts
- Betway – Informative stats console
- Paddy Power – Interesting specials available
- William Hill – Selection of anytime wincast bets
Founded by Anders Ström in 1997, Unibet is based in Malta like many of the leading ice hockey online betting sites.
Unibet is renowned for its widespread sports coverage. They provide far more ice hockey markets than many of their peers.
Why we like Unibet:
You are met with an exceptional choice of ice hockey odds are Unibet. They both cover plenty of competitions and have a variety of outright markets on the biggest events. Your betting decisions can be informed through the statistics available on their website. It is easy to get the ball rolling with their strong welcome offer.
|Excellent ice hockey coverage|
Stacks of outright markets
Incredibly in-depth statistics
|Some other sites have more promos|
Occasionally limits winning players
What Unibet offers you
- Leagues all over the world: You are never going to be short of ice hockey games to bet on at Unibet. They cover leagues and competitions all over the world.
- Outright betting options: Unibet goes above and beyond with its selection of outright markets on ice hockey.
- Lots of numbers: Visit the statistics section of the Unibet website to find a remarkable number of statistics on all manner of ice hockey competitions.
- Very strong welcome offer: Unibet regularly updates their welcome offer to make sure they are ahead of their rivals. You can receive more through their sign-up promo than at many of their competitors.
Bet365 has long been at the top of the sports betting industry in the UK. It doesn’t look like that will change anytime soon.
The accessible bet boost markets are a key reason that Bet365 is among the best ice hockey betting sites in 2023.
Why we like Bet365:
All punters like boosted odds, and Bet365 provide plenty of ice hockey markets. If they don’t have a wager you fancy, it’s also possible to customise your own bet with their intuitive bet builder platform. The early payout offer gives some insurance against dramatic comebacks.
|Bet Boosts on ice hockey games|
Ice hockey bet builder
|Phone support not available|
Some complaints about accounts being limited
What Bet365 offers you
- Bet Boost section: If there’s ice hockey action, there will be some bet boosts available at Bet365. The boosted wagers are easy to locate at the top of the page.
- Bet Builder: Combine up to 12 markets on ice hockey games using the Bet365 Bet Builder.
- Early payout promo: Known for their early payout promotions, Bet365 will payout a wager as a winner if your team goes three goals ahead.
- Superb in-play experience: The Bet365 in-play interface is the best in the business. Quickly place wagers and cash out smoothly.
Betway is an online-only bookmaker with a strong reputation worldwide.
Punters can do some research for their wagers through the well-designed statistics graphics on the Betway website.
Why we like Betway:
Betway’s website and app are slick and quick to load. Part of this offering is the statistics on each game page, which gives ice hockey bettors some information to help them pick a wager. NHL fans have daily props to choose from throughout the season. Whichever competition you bet on, odds are going to be higher than many other of the best ice hockey betting sites.
|Informative stats on ice hockey page|
Daily NHL props
Reliably high odds on ice hockey games
|Limits big winners|
Customer service isn’t great
What Betway offers you
- Useful statistics: You want to be well-informed before placing your wager. Betway helps you learn about the form of the two teams and the standings in the competition.
- NHL-specific props: Alongside their range of ice hockey markets, Betway also has daily NHL props combining bets for different games.
- High odds: Betway has high odds across the board. Ice hockey follows that trend, with their prices comparing favourably.
- Free Bet Club: Opt in to the Free Bet Club and you can win up to £10 in free bets every week to use on the Betway website or app.
Irish bookmaker Paddy Power has amassed an enormous following on social media thanks to their bold promotions and risqué marketing campaigns.
Punters can find something a little different at Paddy Power with their range of ice hockey specials.
Why we like Paddy Power:
Every bookie offers certain markets, but Paddy Power gives you something alternative to consider with their selection of specials. The standard odds are high generally, too. New customers are met with cash back if their first bet loses, which is a nice touch.
|Unique ice hockey specials available|
High NHL odds
Great sign-up offer
|Limited live streaming|
Below-average customer service
What Paddy Power offers you
- Specials galore: Paddy Power is known for its specials. Ice hockey is no exception to that rule, with plenty of different wagers to choose from.
- Consistently high odds: Look at NHL odds on a comparison site and you will often find Paddy Power near the top of the pile.
- Cash back sign-up promotion: Paddy Power offer cash back if your first bet loses as part of their welcome offer.
- Bright website and app design: The design of the Paddy Power website and app is in-keeping with their jovial brand. There is colour and humour used throughout.
Read the full Paddy Power Review
A veteran of the British sports betting industry, William Hill is a popular name when debating the best ice hockey betting sites in the UK.
William Hill has more markets on the biggest ice hockey leagues than most, including their anytime wincast specials.
Why we like William Hill:
For regular ice hockey punters, William Hill is a great bookie to try out. You can mix it up with their different markets, including wincasts and NHL Bingo. If you are still after something different, choose your own wager through #YourOdds. Should you run into any issues, the customer service is generally superb.
|Lots of anytime wincast bets on offer|
Bet flexibly with #YourOdds
|Could have more ice hockey specials|
Website can be hard to navigate
What William Hill offers you
- Anytime wincasts on big games: There is a dedicated section of the William Hill ice hockey page for anytime wincasts. You can find some great value in there.
- NHL Bingo: Found under ‘Ice Hockey Highlights’ near the top of the page, NHL Bingo is a selection of players in action on a given day. Different markets are available on which ones of them will score.
- #YourOdds wagers: If the diverse range of William Hill markets is insufficient, you can put together your own bet using the #YourOdds feature.
- Well-reviewed customer service: William Hill has a reputation for excellent customer service. They also make it easy for the customer to get in touch with lots of different methods.
Read the full William Hill Review
How our experts choose the best sites to bet on Ice Hockey
There is a lot to consider as you try to narrow down the best ice hockey betting sites. Some sites have more markets than others, some have websites which are easier on the eye. Parts are down to personal choice.
Sam Cox: In my opinion, the best ice hockey betting sites need to cover all the bases. I want these bookies to cover competitions beyond the NHL and other major leagues, and bonus points are awarded for having additional outright markets on top of the standard ones.
Compare the best Ice Hockey betting sites of 2023
All of the recognisable bookmakers in the UK have some form of ice hockey betting available. Unlike horse racing or Premier League football, however, there is a huge range in their respective offerings. The amount of attention paid to ice hockey varies considerably.
Still, among the top ice hockey online betting sites, there isn’t much to choose between them. So, here’s a quickfire comparison of the leading contenders:
|Site Name||Betting.com Rating||Best For||Sign-up Bonus||Full Review|
|Unibet||4.8/5||Range of competitions||Bet £10, Get £40||Review|
|Bet365||4.5/5||Boosted odds||Bet £10, Get £30 Free Bets||Review|
|Betway||4.6/5||Ice hockey stats||£30 Matched Bet||Review|
|Paddy Power||4.2/5||Special markets||Bet £10, Get £30 Free Bets||Review|
|William Hill||4/5||Anytime wincasts||Bet £20, Get Back As Cash If Loses||Review|
How to choose the best site for you
Hours of work has been put into finding out the pros and cons of ice hockey bookmakers. Time has been dedicated to comparisons and analysing what each bookie provides for punters. It is still a personal decision when picking a bookmaker, however, and it is important you examine the options for yourself.
To aid with that process, here are seven criteria to bear in mind as you look around:
- Licences are important: To be sure of safety when betting on ice hockey, check that the bookmaker you are using has up-to-date licences in your country. You should never risk your data and financial information.
- Research different welcome offers: You want to bet at a bookmaker which has promotions applicable to your betting habits. The welcome offer is a good taster of how easy it will be to qualify for their various promos and free bets.
- Search for their ice hockey odds: The quantity and quality of ice hockey odds will inevitably vary. Look around to see how easy it is to find the ice hockey odds and make sure they cover the competitions/markets you are interested in.
- Read up on payment options: More payment options is generally better with a bookmaker. If you have a clearly preferred method, have a look at the time it takes for deposits and withdrawals to process and check for any hidden charges.
- Look at a few reviews: Bookmakers earn their reputation. There are reviews available for every bookie. Take a look to see what others think.
- Download the mobile app: Head to the app store on your preferred device and download their app. It is a good way to get a flavour of the mobile experience.
- Go through the sign-up process: Once a bookie has met all your requirements, it is time to try signing up with them. This can be a great indicator of what it is like to be a regular punter.
Betting on Ice Hockey explained
The first indoor game of ice hockey was played in Canada way back in 1875. It goes without saying that the sport and betting on it has altered considerably since then.
Ice hockey odds are plentiful at the best ice hockey betting sites. Outright markets are often available well before a season/tournament gets underway.
Making ice hockey picks is similar to many other team sports. You need to look into team form, head-to-head records and betting trends.
Types of Ice Hockey bets
A lot of ice hockey markets are similar to other sports. If you are a fan of the sport, almost all of the markets should be pretty self-explanatory.
Probably the most common bet in ice hockey is to bet on which team wins the game. Look out for whether this bet includes overtime.
Just as in other sports, you can bet on the total number of goals in ice hockey. Bookies will set a line, and you choose the over or the under. Some betting sites will provide alternate lines, too.
Player props markets are available at the best ice hockey betting sites. You can wager on anything from shots and assists to powerplay points and shots blocked.
Outright betting markets are sometimes referred to as futures. These include betting on player awards and which team will win a tournament.
Ice Hockey betting strategies
It is worth taking some time to decide on your preferred ice hockey betting strategy. There are a lot of sites out there to help with your statistical research, including Hockey Reference. You will also want look up head-to-head matchups, team form and various betting trends.
Popular Ice Hockey events to bet on
The big bucks in ice hockey are focused on North America, but the competition has an audience in numerous other countries. Here are some of the biggest ice hockey events to bet on:
- NHL: First played in 1917, the NHL is the highest standard ice hockey league in the world. There are 32 teams split into conferences and divisions, with the champion being decided via a playoff format. The Montreal Canadiens are the most successful franchise, having lifted the Stanley Cup on 25 occasions. Get ready to bet on the National Hockey League by reading up on the best NHL betting sites.
- Kontinental Hockey League: The Kontinental Hockey League was founded in 2008. It involves teams from Russia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and China. Of the 22 teams involved, 19 are based in Russia. The KHL is commonly regarded as the second-strongest ice hockey league in the world, and had a total attendance of over five million in 2017.
- Winter Olympics: Men’s ice hockey was first competed at the Summer Olympics in 1920, and became a permanent part of the Winter Games in 1924. The women’s tournament was first played at the 1998 Winter Olympics. Canada are the most successful ice hockey team across the men’s and women’s competitions with 23 total medals, 14 of which have been gold. Learn more about betting on the Games by checking out our guide to the best Winter Olympics betting sites.