Starting out with in-person betting shops back in the 1930s, William Hill has transferred its success on high streets to online betting.
- Enhanced NHL odds throughout regular season and playoffs
- Lots of markets on each NHL game
- Acca Freedom
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply.
Punters keep returning to William Hill, which is a testament to its solid odds, valuable promotions and reliability.
Why we like William Hill
You can’t find much to fault with the William Hill website or app. Their enhanced NHL odds are always worth keeping an eye on. They offer plenty of markets on each game from opening day to the Stanley Cup finals, including a lengthy list of player props and period betting options. They are clearly one of the UK’s best NHL betting sites.
What William Hill offers you
- Enhanced NHL odds: Renowned for their specials across various sports, William Hill offers daily NHL enhanced odds all season long.
- Choice of markets for each NHL game: You have freedom to choose from all manner of NHL markets at William Hill beyond the moneyline, puck line and total.
- Well-earned reputation: William Hill has been around for almost a century. You can place trust in this bookmaker to keep your money and data safe.
- Acca Freedom: You can boost the odds or land insurance against a specific leg on one accumulator per day through the William Hill website and app.
Bet365 is a bookmaker recognised all over the world. They have a sizeable market share and a reputation few of their competitors can rival.
- Early payout offer on ice hockey
- Bet Builder
- NHL streaming
For New Customers. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply. 18+. begambleaware.org
Led by their early payout offer, Bet365 are a strong contender to be named the best NHL betting site in 2023.
Why we like Bet365
Bet365 is an industry leader thanks to a catalogue of NHL markets and their early payout offer, plus the ability to personalise your wagers through the use of their bet builder. As is the case with several other sports, you can also keep up with the latest action thanks to their streaming service.
What Bet365 offers you
- Ice Hockey Early Payout Offer: Your bet will be counted as a winner if the team you backed takes a three-goal lead. This means a payout on singles and checks off a leg of multiple wagers.
- Bet Builder: Use the Bet365 Bet Builder to compile your own wager including the moneyline, total, player props and more.
- Streams of NHL games: Bet365 streams NHL games on their website and app.
- Accumulator Bonus: Meet certain criteria and Bet365 will boost multi-sport accumulators by up to 70%.
Founded in 1997, Unibet provides a good quality ice hockey service and is one of the UK’s best NHL betting sites.
- Good quality NHL odds
- Stacks of outright markets
- Incredibly in-depth statistics
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 50x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in. Full T&Cs apply.
Unibet is renowned for its widespread sports coverage. They provide far more ice hockey markets than many of their peers and cover the NHL in depth.
Why we like Unibet
You are met with an exceptional choice of NHL odds and markets at Unibet. They have a variety of outright markets and individual match markets. Your betting decisions can be informed through the statistics available on their website.
What Unibet offers you
- Leagues all over the world: You are never going to be short of ice hockey games to bet on at Unibet. As well as the NHL they cover leagues and competitions all over the world.
- Range of markets: Unibet have loads of betting options on the NHL
- Outright betting options: Unibet goes above and beyond with its selection of outright markets on the NHL.
- High odds: Unibet provide competitive prices on the NHL.
- Lots of numbers: Visit the statistics section of the Unibet website to find a remarkable number of statistics on the NHL.
A relative newbie compared to the other top NHL online betting sites, Betway is exclusively an online sports gambling platform which was founded in 2006.
- Statistics available on betting page for each game
- User-friendly website and app
- Massive range of odds
New UK customers only. Min Deposit: £5. Maximum Free Bet: £30. First bet on a Football or Horse Racing multiple with 3+ selections. Overall odds: 3.00 (2/1) or higher. Free Bets available upon settlement of the qualifying bet. This is offer is valid for 7 days from your new account being registered. 50 Bonus Spins credited on placement of qualifying Acca bet.50x bonus wagering applies as do weighting requirements, bonus Spins only available on selected games and expires 7 days after being awarded. Debit card deposits only (exclusions apply). 18+. BeGambleAware.org. Bet The Responsible Way. Full terms apply.
Betway’s subtle branding and slick website design make it an appealing place to browse and make wagers. They provide loads of stats and info to help bettors make informed choices.
Why we like Betway
Punters have lots of NHL information at their fingertips through the Betway website and app. The presentation of the data is easy to take in and quick to load. The site is clearly designed with the bettor in mind, making it a great experience from sign-up to withdrawing winnings.
What Betway offers you
- Platform to do research: You can do a fair amount of research into each team just through Betway’s website or app. On each NHL game page, there is a smart graphic showing form, standings and statistics.
- Excellent app and website: Betway’s website and app are straight-forward to navigate and quick to load. Their design is intuitive and easy on the eye.
- Huge selection of odds: Betway offers a comprehensive list of sports. Punters have plenty of choice once they’ve chosen what to bet on.
- Consistently high odds: Odds comparison websites regularly show Betway to be offering good-value odds.
10bet is a quality online sports book, with an award winning website who cover ice hockey really well. Their NHL offering is very impressive.
- NHL odds available well in advance
- Award-winning website design
- Competitive odds
18+. New bettors get 50% of deposit up to £50; Once per household; Min deposit £15 (no Skrill/Neteller); Wager a total of 8 times deposit + bonus, with max qualifying bet stake equal to your initial bonus amount; Bonus expires after 60 days; Min odds of 4/5 on singles, or 2/5 per leg for acca; Some bet types excluded; See full terms;
10bet’s superb website, competitive odds, info and stats and range of markets make it a great place to bet on the NHL.
Why we like 10bet
10bet are very prompt with their odds for outrights and individual matches for the NHL. The design of their website has rightly earned recognition, including some awards in 2019.
What 10bet offers you
- Early game odds: NHL odds are often available well in advance.
- Excellent website design: The 10bet website has received plenty of praise for its design and functionality. It is user-friendly and pleasing to the eye. Style and substance.
- Competitive ice hockey odds: 10bet generally provide good quality odds on ice hockey.
- Ten Club: 10bet does things a bit differently with its VIP program. The Ten Club is a personalised experienced, featuring individual offers and a private WhatsApp.
How our experts choose the best sites to bet on NHL
There is a lot to consider when trying to identify the best NHL betting site. Bookies need to check all the boxes to be in the mix, including top-level security, competitive odds and plenty of deposit methods.
Sam Cox: In my opinion, the best NHL betting site in 2023 needs to offer an excellent user experience both on a computer and mobile. I also want to see sites having deep odds on each game, covering lots of different markets. The best bookies will also provide a selection of outright betting options beyond the Stanley Cup winner.
Compare the best NHL betting sites of 2023
Ice hockey has a greater following in the UK than you might think. It is a sport covered by almost every bookie, leading to a very congested field. That can make it difficult for the best NHL betting site to stand out.
Punters are looking for safety, value and useability when choosing their favourite bookmaker for NHL betting in 2023. We’ve compared the best candidates:
|Site Name||Betting.com Rating||Best For||Full Review|
|William Hill||4.6/5||Enhanced NHL odds||Review|
|Unibet||4.4/5||Range of NHL markets||Review|
How to choose the best site for you
Through our research, we have discovered what we like and don’t like about some of the biggest NHL betting sites in the UK. Each punter will have their own priorities when selecting a betting site, though, so it is worthwhile looking into the options for yourself.
As you look around, consider the following criteria for each site:
- Licensing takes priority: You want to make sure you are betting on a safe platform. One way to do so is by checking for the necessary licences.
- Shop around for welcome offers: Bookies will change their welcome offers occasionally, so check which new customer deals are available when you’re thinking of signing up. Have a look for any additional welcome promos bookies might be offering, too.
- Research NHL betting options: You want to be certain your new bookmaker has the NHL betting markets you are most interested in.
- Different payment methods: The amount of payment methods varies between bookies. Find a bookmaker with a sufficient range to deposit and withdraw your cash.
- Customer service matters: Reputation and customer service are often closely linked. Find out what others think of a bookmaker before committing to them.
- Betting on the move: A good mobile app makes it much easier to browse odds and place wagers when you’re out and about.
- Check the signing up process: Once you’ve settled on a bookmaker, try out their sign-up process. First impressions matter and can help you to get a feel for the experience with their site.
Betting on NHL explained
Starting in October and ending in June, you can bet on the NHL for the majority of the year. In the offseason, some bookies will provide outright odds for the following campaign.
NHL odds cover everything from individual award winners to how many shots a player will have in a match. Keep your eyes peeled for odds movement ahead of face-off.
Deciding on your NHL picks can be time-consuming. Regular NHL punters will have go-to websites to do their research before placing their bets.
Types of NHL bets
You will probably be familiar with a lot of the available NHL bets. There are some markets which are specific to the league, however, particularly in the outrights section.
Pick the winner before a game and you will win the wager if they record a victory. Look out for whether overtime is included in the bet.
Bookies set a line and you wager on there to be over or under that amount. The number will often be 6, 6.5 or 7.
Hart Memorial Trophy
The Hart Memorial Trophy is given to the Most Valuable Player throughout the NHL regular season. You can wager on your pick to win the award throughout the campaign.
Stanley Cup Outright
Every NHL team is competing to reach the Stanley Cup Finals, which is the final round of the postseason. The winners of the Finals lift the iconic Stanley Cup trophy. Bookies will give odds on the Stanley Cup winner well before the season begins.
NHL betting strategies
You have a lot to weigh up when trying to settle on an NHL betting strategy. Team and player form are important, as are injuries and previous matchups between the teams. Learn as much as you can before placing a bet, and experiment with different strategies and betting markets.
Get to know more about NHL to bet smarter
The inaugural NHL season was played in 1917-18. Just six teams played in the league initially, with major expansion taking place in the 1960s, and the league growing at an impressive pace through the following decades. As of 2022-23, there are 32 teams competing in the NHL, split into two conferences and four divisions.
The Montreal Canadiens are the most successful team in NHL history with 24 titles in the Stanley Cup era. No other team has been crowned champions more than 13 times.
Who is the favourite to win the NHL Stanley Cup in 2023/24?
Vegas Golden Knights won the Stanley Cup in 2022/23, defeating Florida Panthers in the finals. Colorado Avalanche are the favourites to win the Stanley Cup in 2023/24, ahead of Edmonton Oilers, Toronto Maple Leafs and the current champions, the Golden Knights. The Panthers are an outside bet, despite finishing as runners up.
The Maple Leafs are favourites for the Eastern Conference, ahead of the New Jersey Devils. Colorado Avalanche are Western Conference favourites in front of the Oilers and the Golden Knights.
Who is competing in the NHL in 2023/24?
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus Blue Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Colorado Avalanche
- Dallas Stars
- Minnesota Wild
- Nashville Predators
- St. Louis Blues
- Winnipeg Jets
- Anaheim Ducks
- Arizona Coyotes
- Calgary Flames
- Edmonton Oilers
- Los Angeles Kings
- San Jose Sharks
- Vancouver Canucks Vancouver
- Vegas Golden Knights
- Seattle Kraken
What are the key dates to keep in mind?
- October 2023 – June 2024. Exact dates to follow.