William Hill is a name woven into the fabric of the UK’s sports betting industry. The company was formed in 1934 and since then has been a leading player in most types of betting. William Hill went online in 1998, making it one of Britain’s longest established online betting services. William Hill provides a large variety of markets in rugby union and not surprisingly it’s six nations offering is superb.
- Large range of six nations betting markets
- Promotions, such as enhanced odds for selected six nations matches
- Customised bets available for six nations at #YourOdds
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply.
William Hill have a great range of six nations markets, with fantastic pre-match and in-play options and customised odds available.
Why we like William Hill
William Hill provides a large variety of six nations markets. They also give you the option to customise your bet by tweeting @WilliamHill#YourOdds. William Hill is clearly one of the UK’s best six nations betting sites.
What William Hill offers you
- Large range of six nations betting markets: William Hill cover the tournament comprehensively with different markets available. William Hill also provide punters with a great in-play betting service
- Customised six nations bets: If you can’t find what you are looking for you can tweet @William Hill #YourOdds.
- Regular enhanced odds for six nations: Look for boosted odds on six nations fixtures in the run up to matches.
- Great customer service: William Hill provides an excellent standard of customer service.
Bet365 is arguably the most well-known bookmaker in the UK. Long-time sponsors of Stoke City, the Potteries-based bookie has numerous offers for football punters.
Since its inception back in 2000, bet365 has firmly established itself as a major player in the betting industry, in the UK and around the world. They are a market leader in most of the services they offer and cover rugby union, including the six nations really well. The range and depth of markets, quality of odds and live streaming make bet365 one of the UK’s best six nations betting sites.
- Great in-play betting
- Large range of six nations betting markets
- Competitive odds for six nations
For New Customers. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply. 18+. begambleaware.org
A quality all-round bookmaker and a quality rugby union betting site, bet365 offer a range of six nations markets, both pre-match and in-play, live streaming and competitive odds.
Why we like Bet365
Bet365 provides outstanding levels of security and usability for customers along with consistently competitive odds on the six nations. The bookie has a fantastic live betting service for the six nations with a whole host of in-play markets for matches.
What Bet365 offers you
- Great variety of markets: Player props and match stats are available as well as the result.
- Competitive odds: bet365 consistently offer competitive odds on six nations matches and outrights.
- Attractive welcome offer and promos for new customers: Generous welcome offer where a £10 bet gives you £30 in free bets. There are also other promotions aimed at new customers which punters looking to bet on rugby union can take advantage of.
- Excellent in-play betting: bet365 offer plenty of in-play markets for six nations matches. This is sometimes complimented with live streaming.
- Good reputation for customer service: bet365 has one of the better customer service teams in the sports betting industry with different options when contacting them.
Coral is a solid, reliable name within the betting industry. The company have a well-deserved reputation as one of the UK’s best betting sites and provide rugby union punters with a great six nations offering. Coral can be recommended as one of the UK’s best six nations betting websites.
- Well established bookie
- Good range of betting markets for six nations
- Consistent and competitive odds for Six Nations
18+ New UK+IRE Customers. Certain deposit methods & bet types excl. Min first £5 bet within 14 days of account reg at min odds 1/2 to get 1x £20 free bet. Free bet available to use on selected sportsbook markets only. Free bets valid for 7 days, stake not returned. for Horse Racing valid for 7 days. Restrictions + T&Cs apply
Coral are a well-established bookmaker who give rugby fans plenty of betting opportunities, along with six nations related promotions and competitive odds. They are clearly one of the best six nations betting sites in the UK.
Why we like Coral
Coral are a reliable bookie who offer a wide range of six nations markets. The bookie has competitive odds, offers pre-match and in-play markets, along with markets for the outright winner.
What Coral offers you
- Coral Connect Card: Coral Connect is a feature open to all Coral customers. You can use it to link in-shop betting activity with an online Coral online account. You can use the card to make instant deposits and withdrawals and card holders can benefit from exclusive promotions.
- Cash out at Coral: Coral have a cash out feature available for selected six nations matches. This allows you to lock in a profit or loss before waiting for the event to finish.
- Consistent competitive odds for six nations: In terms of odds value, Coral generally compares well to the other top bookmakers for the six nations.
- Great range and depth of markets: Coral have a great range of markets for six nations betting.
BoyleSports have built upon their high-street success to develop into a great online sportsbook. The Irish bookmaker provides great coverage of rugby union, including the six nations.
- Combined odds on Six Nations outright betting
- Early outrights available on tournament
- Price boosts for Six Nations matches
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min Deposit £10. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Account & Payment method restrictions apply. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&Cs apply. T&Cs apply.
BoyleSports’ feature allowing you to combine odds in a market is something which stands out from many of its competitors.
Why we like BoyleSports
You can combine odds at BoyleSports, which helps you put the odds in your favour. The bookie is very prompt with their outright odds and they offer plenty of six nations markets. There are regular odds boosts on matches throughout the tournament.
What BoyleSports offers you
- Combined odds: BoyleSports allows you to combine outright odds to shift things in your favour.
- Prompt outrights on Six Nations: BoyleSports put their outright odds up months in advance.
- Price boosts: Enhanced odds can be found on selected six nations matches.
- Acca Loyalty: You could be eligible for a £5 free accumulator if you place five other accumulators.
Betfred was created with the winning from a bet on England to win the 1966 World Cup. Appropriately, they have established themselves as an excellent football bookmaker and one of the top Six Nations online betting sites.
- Daily price boosts on six nations
- Tryscorer promos on selected six nations matches
New 18+ UK customers. Register with Welcome40. Deposit, using a Debit Card, and place first bet on sports within 7 days of registering. Bet must be £10+ at Evens (2.0)+ in one bet transaction. £40 in Free Bets credited within 10 hours of bet settlement, expires 7-days after issue. First bet must be settled within 7 days of registration. Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs apply.
Construct your own wager or pick from other combination bets with Betfred’s #PickYourPunt feature. You can also enjoy their superb blog.
Why we like Betfred
You can use #PickYourPunt to mix any markets you fancy for the Six Nations. Look out for their daily price boosts too.
What Betfred offers you
- #PickYourPunt: Contact Betfred using the hashtag to combine a selection of picks. Alternatively, scroll through pre-made #PickYourPunt bets and see if you can find some value.
- Daily Price Boosts: Betfred keeps its Daily Price Boosts section well-stocked during Six Nations match days.
- Double Delight: Back a player to score first and you could be eligible for their tryscorer promo.
- Acca Insurance: Pre-match accumulators of five or more legs can be covered by accumulator insurance.
- Betfred Blog: Great previews and articles on six nations.
How our experts choose the best sites to bet on Six Nations
Bettors have different priorities when trying to choose the best six nations betting sites. Some are keen to have the best customer service. Others will want a hefty welcome offer. Of course, the value of the odds matters greatly, but there are a lot of other factors which are important to punters.
Chris Sampson: In my opinion, the top Six Nations online betting sites will have specific promotions and special markets for the competition. I want to see options for bettors, such as a range of markets and the ability to create your own wager through either a bet builder or combining odds.
Compare the best Six Nations betting sites of 2023
The six nations is one of the most watched tournaments in rugby. This means that online bookmakers put a lot of effort into their six nations package, leaving punters with a huge amount of information to take in.
Here’s a quick look at the best six nations betting sites in 2023.
|Site Name||Betting.com Rating||Best For||Full Review|
|William Hill||4.6/5||Customised wagers||Review|
How to choose the best site for you
At Betting.com, we have started the process for finding your favourite six nations bookmaker. This is a personal decision, though, so it is imperative that you do some research for yourself.
As you look around, these are seven things to consider:
- Licences are a must: The only way to be confident about the safety of your personal information is by betting with a licensed bookmaker.
- Weigh up welcome offers: As you get used to a new bookie, a good welcome offer can be a great starting point. Read up on the terms to make sure their offer will work with your betting habits and stakes.
- Search for six nations odds: All bookmakers cover the six nations, but the extent of their odds can vary significantly. Also look for the bookies who provide early outright prices.
- Learn about payments: You are probably already decided on your preferred payment method. Check it is available with the bookie, and see if there are any fees associated. Being able to quickly withdraw winnings is important.
- Read some reviews: Bookies earn their reputations. Look over somereviews and have a read through to discover what others have made of the experience.
- Download their app: Mobile betting is a staple of sports gambling in the 2020s. Try out their app and double-check that all the features and promotions are available there.
- Sign up: If you think you have found the right bookie, it’s time to try them out. The registration and verification process can tell you a lot about how a bookmaker treats its punters.
Betting on Six Nations explained
The Six Nations Championship an annual international men’s rugby union competition between England, France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales. The current champions are Ireland, who won the 2023 tournament. The tournament began as a home nations championship in 1883 and became the five nations in 1910 when France joined. In 2000 Italy were added making it the Six Nations. While there has always been betting on these championships things have developed greatly over the years. This is especially the case in the last 25 years as betting in-play and on the go has become more popular and accessible along with player props.
Six Nations odds are available a long way in advance, with most bookies offering prices on the next year’s tournament as soon as the current tournament ends, if not before. Match markets will be live soon after the schedule is released, and these will change with form, and injuries as the tournament progresses, as will the outright odds. The best betting sites will give prices for the tournament winners, winners of the Grand Slam (winning the tournament with a 100% record), winning the Triple Crown (contested between England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland and awarded if one team beats the other three), winning the Calcutta Cup (England v Scotland) and finishing bottom of the table, known as the “wooden spoon”.
Rugby betting odds are calculated on the probability of something happening.
For example, the odds of Scotland winning the Six Nations are longer than the odds of France winning the Six Nations. That is because the probability of Scotland winning the Six Nations is much lower than the probability of France winning the Six Nations.
If Scotland won the 2023 Six Nations after you placed a £10 bet on them to do so at 16/1, you would win £160. But if France won the 2023 Six Nations after you placed a £10 bet on them to do so at 5/1, you would win £50.
The best six nations betting sites in the UK will display odds for different markets. Firstly, you will find odds for the outright winner of leagues, tournaments and cups. These will change on an almost daily basis due to results, form, and, in cup competitions, the draw.
Each match will display odds for the result (home win, away win, draw). Again these will move as things change (injuries, suspensions etc.) in the build up to the game.
Generally, if you add up the percentage probability of each of the three possible outcomes you can determine whether the odds are good value. Naturally the three percentages should make 100, however, that would leave the bookie without profit. What is a fair margin varies from sport to sport, however in rugby union the bookies who offer the best odds usually average around 108-110 (90-92% payout).
Just like selecting your preferred bookmaker, there is a lot to consider when making rugby union picks. Recent form, injuries, suspensions, upcoming fixtures and style of play/characteristics of the teams are all important factors.
Types of Six Nations bets
Rugby union bettors have never had more options available, especially with a high profile tournament such as the six nations. Punters can, for example, bet on outright winners and match results. Match stats are becoming more commonly available and some bookies are starting to introduce player props. Accas and multiples are also becoming popular. Bettors pick a number of games to predict the result from, with, for example, odds given for selecting four out of four correct results.
This is a bet on an event which is often some way down the line. Punters often bet on outright winners (the winner of a competition, for example Six Nations, World Cup). Bets such as this can be made on individual players too, for example top points scorer or top try scorer in the Six Nations.
For an individual match punters bet on which team will win, or whether the game will end as a draw. An extension of this is betting on a specific result.
Over/Under (Total) bets
Betting the over/under in a match simply means you are wagering on how many points will be scored overall, not how many one team will score, or who will win.
As it sounds, double chance betting involves predicting two of the three possible outcomes in a rugby union match. In any game you will have three double chance options: Team 1 win + draw, Team 2 win + draw, Team 1 or Team 2 win.
Parlay: A parlay involves more than one wager combined together for greater odds. You can place a same game rugby union parlay — multiple events from one matchup — or alternatively, events across multiple games. Comprising three doubles and a treble, a Trixie is three selections and four bets. At least two of the selections must land to guarantee a payout.
As stated earlier accumulators, where punters try to match a number of results, are becoming more popular in rugby union/six nations betting.
The obvious risk is that all the bets have to win for the bettor to receive a payout. However, some bookmakers, offer accumulator insurance so if one of your selections (minimum five selections) lets you down you will receive your stake back as a free bet.
Handicap betting helps punters get better odds if a game appears to be one-sided.
Prop markets are becoming more common, and they allow customers to bet on anything that may unfold during a game. Common prop bets include, correct score, first team to score, which team will score last plus others, depending on your bookie.
Depending on the bookie, there may be options to include props in a mixed parlay. Many bookmakers have rugby union bet builders and the option to tweet your customised bets to the bookie to get the odds.
Lots of six nations punters enjoy the excitement of live betting as the match flows. Bettors can follow the action then use their judgement to place bets as the game unfolds. Live streaming has made this more popular. Bookmakers offer several markets, such as which team will score the next points, the next try scorer.
Six Nations betting strategies
Put some time aside to develop your Six Nations betting strategy. Check out form and statistics online. Try to apply your knowledge and understanding of the game to your selections. Look at the types of bets you prefer and develop your own strategy. Above all, gamble responsibly and make it fun.
Get to know more about Six Nations to bet smarter
The Six Nations Championship is played annually. The current champions are Ireland, who won the 2023 tournament. The Six Nations is the successor to the Home Nations Championship (1883–1909 and 1932–39) and the Five Nations Championship (1910–31 and 1947–99).
Wales have won the championship the most times, with 40 titles (28 outright, 12 shared), but England have won the most outright titles with 29. Since the Six Nations era started in 2000, only Italy and Scotland have failed to win the title. The women’s tournament started as the Women’s Home Nations in the 1996 season.
Following the relative success of Georgia and Romania in the last Rugby World Cup there have been calls for them to join the Six Nations.
The tournament begins on the first weekend in February and ends on the second or third Saturday in March. Each team plays every other team once (a total of 15 matches), with home advantage alternating year to year. Before the 2017 tournament, two points were awarded for a win, one for a draw and none for a loss. Unlike many other rugby union competitions, a bonus point system had not previously been used. A bonus point system was introduced in 2017. The system is now 0 points for a loss, 2 for a draw, 4 for a win, 1 for scoring four or more tries in a match, and 1 for losing by 7 points or fewer). A team that wins all of their games (a Grand Slam) are automatically awarded 3 extra points – to ensure they cannot be overtaken by a defeated team on bonus points.
Before 1994, teams equal on match points shared the championship. Since then, ties have been broken by considering the points difference, match points and tries scored.
The metaphorical Wooden Spoon is given to the team that finishes in last place, or alternatively. Since the Six Nations tournament began in 2000, only England and Ireland have avoided finishing last. Italy have finished last 18 times since joining.
Six Nations Winners
- 2000 England
- 2001 England
- 2002 France
- 2003 England
- 2004 France
- 2005 Wales
- 2006 France
- 2007 France
- 2008 Wales
- 2009 Ireland
- 2010 France
- 2011 England
- 2012 Wales
- 2013 Wales
- 2014 Ireland
- 2015 Ireland
- 2016 England
- 2017 England
- 2018 Ireland
- 2019 Wales
- 2020 England
- 2021 Wales
- 2022 France
- 2023 Ireland
Who is the favourite to win the Six Nations in 2024?
France are favourites to win in 2024 (6/5 bet365), ahead of Ireland (11/8 bet365). England are next followed by Scotland, Wales and Italy.
Who is competing in the Six Nations in 2024?
What are the key dates to keep in mind?
- Friday 2nd February 2024 France v Ireland
- Saturday 3rd February 2024 Italy v England/Wales v Scotland
- Saturday 10th February 2024 Scotland v France/England v Wales
- Sunday 11th February 2024 Ireland v Italy
- Saturday 24th February 2024 Ireland v Wales/Scotland v England
- Sunday 25th February 2024 France v Italy
- Saturday 9th March 2024 Italy v Scotland/England v Ireland
- Sunday 10th March 2024 Wales v France
- Saturday 16th March 2024 Wales v Italy/Ireland v Scotland/France v England
For more on rugby union follow the link.