Launched online in 2004, Betfred has become one of the UK’s most popular betting sites. Betfred are one of Rugby League’s biggest sponsors. Their current deals include sponsorship of the Super League, the Championship and the Challenge Cup. They are one of the most popular bookmakers for rugby league betting and are one of the top Challenge Cup betting sites.
- Enhanced odds on Challenge Cup fixtures and other promos
- Rugby League bet builder available for Challenge Cup matches
- Trending rugby league bets feature
New 18+ UK customers. Register with Welcome40. Deposit, using a Debit Card, and place first bet on sports within 7 days of registering. Bet must be £10+ at Evens (2.0)+ in one bet transaction. £40 in Free Bets credited within 10 hours of bet settlement, expires 7-days after issue. First bet must be settled within 7 days of registration. Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs apply.
Betfred provide great coverage of rugby league as a whole and this includes the Challenge Cup. Betfred offers a great service for Challenge Cup betting.
Why we like Betfred
Betfred has an excellent blog with a rugby league section, which provides a wealth of information on the Challenge Cup, , helping bettors to make more informed choices. The rugby league bet builder can help you customise your Challenge Cup bets and the bookie offers some great promos you can use in Challenge Cup matches such as double delight and enhanced odds.
What Betfred offers you
- Rugby league bet builder: Betfred’s fantastic bet builder #PickYourPunt, a feature that combines bet building with bet customisation can be used for Challenge Cup betting. Customers can “build” their own bets, combining a range of markets to create their own unique wager. Alternatively, you can bet on Pick Your Punt markets already available on the site. If you want further options you can tweet @Betfred #PickYourPunt to get your wager priced up.
- Challenge Cup Promotions: If a player you’ve picked scores the first try of the match, then goes on to score another, Betfred will double your first Try scorer price. Look out for other rugby league promos/enhanced odds which can be applied to Super League betting.
- Daily Price Boosts: Check the Betfred website for daily price boosts on selected events and matches
- Betfred Blog: Betfred have a great blog with a superb rugby league section, helping punters to make more informed choices when betting on the Challenge Cup.
A veteran of the UK betting scene, William Hill was formed in 1934 and since then has been a leading light in most types of betting. Giving great all round coverage to rugby league, not surprisingly William Hill is among the best UK betting sites for the Challenge Cup.
- Excellent range of Challenge Cup markets
- Customised bets available for the Challenge Cup by tweeting @WilliamHill#YourOdds
- Enhanced odds for selected Challenge Cup games
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply.
William Hill provides a large variety of markets in rugby league betting, including the Challenge Cup with great pre-match and in-play options.
Why we like William Hill
William Hill offers good value and a great range of markets for the Challenge Cup. They also give you the option to customise your bet by tweeting @WilliamHill#YourOdds, plus an extensive list of options to build your bet on the site. The bookmakers odds are fair and competitive.
What William Hill offers you
- Large range of Challenge Cup markets: William Hill cover rugby league comprehensively and they have different markets available for the Super League, pre match and in-play, match betting and outrights.
- Fair and attractive odds for the Challenge Cup: William Hill offer competitive Challenge Cup odds.
- Customised Challenge Cup wagers: If you can’t find what you are looking for you can tweet @William Hill #YourOdds.
- Regular enhanced odds promos: Look for boosted odds on the Challenge Cup in the run up to matches. William Hill’s website offers enhanced odds on a daily basis across a range of sports and events.
BetVictor are a well-established and reliable company. Rugby league is a strength of BetVictor, and they are among the UK’s best Challenge Cup betting sites.
- Good range of markets covered for the Challenge Cup
- Cash out available on Challenge Cup bets
- Trending bets feature
18+ New customers only. Opt in, bet £5 at odds 2.00+ within 7 days of registering, no cashout. Get 2x £10 Free Bets, set events at odds 2.00+. Plus a £10 Slot Bonus, selected games, wager 20x to withdraw max £250. 7 day bonus expiry. Card payments only. T&Cs apply, see below. Please gamble responsibly
With promotions, such as enhanced odds, on rugby league, including the Challenge Cup and their all-round service and solid reputation BetVictor is up there with Britain’s best for Challenge Cup betting.
Why we like BetVictor
Challenge Cup wagers are available pre-match and in-play. Betting options include the match result, specific scores and points margins, handicaps and try scorers. Statistics are available to help bettors make their picks, while in-play betting is supported by graphics. Further incentives include promos such as regular odds boosts.Cash out is available for Challenge Cup matches.
What BetVictor offers you
- Impressive range of Challenge Cup markets: Bet Victor provides great coverage of the Challenge Cup. Outright bets are available along with pre-match and in-play options are available, plus handicaps and some props markets.
- Cash out on Chellenge Cup wagers at BetVictor: BetVictor have a cash out feature which allows you to lock in a profit or loss before waiting for the event to finish.
- BetVictor Loyalty Club: Opt into this promotion via the Offers tab. Place 5 bets of £5 or more on any Sports market, each with odds of 1/2 (1.50) or greater. Multiple bets made on the same outcome will count as one qualifying bet. Then open the box for a chance to win a prize. This can get you a Free Bet between £1 and £25 which can be used on any Sports market, can be used as one whole bet or a number of smaller bets, will only return any profit exceeding the total stake.
- High levels of security: BetVictor are a solid and dependable operator who ensure that your data and finances are secure at all times.
BoyleSports has the second-most betting shops in Ireland. They have developed into an excellent online bookmaker.
- Combined odds
- Each way options on Challenge Cup outrights Acca Rewards
- Challenge Cup price boost
New UK customers (Excluding NI) only. Mobile exclusive. Min Deposit £10. Min stake £10. Min odds Evs. Free bet applied on 1st settlement of any qualifying bet. 30 days to qualify. Free bets expire in 7 days. Cashed out/Free Bets won’t apply. Account & Payment method restrictions apply. 1 Free Bet offer per customer, household & IP Address only. 18+. T&Cs apply. T&Cs apply.
Boyle Sports’ feature allowing you to combine odds in a market is something which stands out from many of its competitors, along with the each-way outright options for the Challenge Cup.
Why we like BoyleSports:
You can combine odds at BoyleSports, and they offer great each-way outright options on the Challenge Cup.
What BoyleSports offers you
- Combined odds: Combined odds options for Challenge Cup matches
- Each way outright bets: Plenty of betting options for Challenge Cup outrights, including the option to go each way.
- Acca Rewards: Insure a leg of your accumulator or boost your winnings with BoyleSports’ Acca Rewards promotion.
- Price boosts: Find a selection of price boosts for Challenge Cup matches.
- Acca Loyalty: You could be eligible for a £5 free accumulator if you place five other accumulators.
Bet365 is a huge player in British sports betting, and they are up there with the best for Challenge Cup betting.
- Bet boosts for Challenge Cup games
- Rugby League bet builder
- Competitive Challenge Cup odds
For New Customers. Min deposit requirement. Free Bets are paid as Bet Credits and are available for use upon settlement of qualifying bets. Min odds, bet and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude Bet Credits stake. Time limits and T&Cs apply. 18+. begambleaware.org
A quality all round bookmaker, bet365 offer competitive odds and a great range of markets for the Challenge Cup.
Why we like Bet365
Rugby league fans can take advantage of competitive odds, bet boosts and a range of betting options for the Challenge Cup at bet365. Punters can construct their Challenge Cup bets with bet365’s rugby league bet builder.
What Bet365 offers you
- Challenge Cup previews in blog: Challenge Cup fixtures are previewed allowing punters to make more informed picks.
- Quality rugby league bet builder: The bookie has bet builders for a number of sports and has recently added this facility for rugby league, making it easier to customise Challenge Cup wagers.
- Bet Boost: Find Bet365’s Bet Boosts for selected Challenge Cup games..
- Superb in-play platform: Bet365 has long been the market leader when it comes to in-play betting, which is very useful when Challenge Cup matches are taking place.
How our experts choose the best sites to bet on the Challenge Cup
There is plenty to mull over when trying to select the best Challenge Cup betting sites in the UK. Bookies need to excel in a range of categories, including offering a secure platform, good customer service, attractive odds, a number of betting options and competitive promotions.
Chris Sampson: I feel that the top Challange Cup betting sites will offer outright odds from early in the season. They will have competitive odds and promotions and will provide information to help you make informed choices.
Compare the best Challenge Cup betting sites of 2023
Bettors looking to place wagers on the Challenge Cup need to weigh up value, safety, promotions and flexibility when picking the site that suits them. Here’s a table to compare some of the top options for Challenge Cup betting:
|Site Name||Betting.com Rating||Best For||Full Review|
|Betfred||4.8/5||Challenge Cup promos||Review|
|William Hill||4.7/5||Great range of super league markets||Review|
|BetVictor||4.5/5||Regular odds boosts for the Challenge Cup||Review|
|BoyleSports||4.5/5||Each way options for Outrights||Review|
|bet365||4.5/5||Rugby league bet builder||Review|
How to choose the best site for you
Betting.com have put in a great deal of research on Challenge Cup betting sites. However, you need to investigate things for yourself in order to find a site that suits you. These are some of the factors you need to consider:
- Licences are essential: Staying safe when gambling is important. You want to be confident your cash and data are protected. Look around for a bookie’s licences before settling on where to bet.
- Read up on sign-up deals: Bookies make a big deal of their welcome offers, and it can be a key factor in choosing where to sign-up. How you qualify for a welcome promo could determine if it makes sense for you.
- Check out Challenge Cup odds: You naturally want to bet somewhere with good value odd on Challenge Cup outrights and matches. You will also want to make sure they have a range of markets. If there is a specific wager in mind, check it is available.
- Look into payment options: The number of payment options available varies between bookmakers. Learn about which methods are available, and how long it takes for deposits and withdrawals to process.
- Research the opinion of others: Getting an idea of what others think can tell you a lot about a bookie. Read up on reviews to find out what others have made of a betting site.
- Download the app: The best Challenge Cup betting sites are accompanied by top quality mobile apps. Download the app on your preferred device and give it a go.
- Try signing up: Once all the other boxes have been ticked, it’s time to trial the sign-up process.
Betting on the Challenge Cup explained
The contemporary version of the Challenge Cup has eight rounds prior to the final. Teams are seeded, entering at different stages. The precise format has altered slightly from year to year, however the current format is as follows:
- First round: Amateur teams from around the United Kingdom are invited to participate. Most of the teams are English and affiliated to BARLA. Also included are, or have been, the national champions of the Irish, Welsh and Scottish rugby leagues; teams representing the British Army, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, the police, and student rugby league teams. Occasionally other teams have been invited such as the inclusion for 2019 of Serbian side Red Star Belgrade.
- Second round: The first round winners play again.
- Third round: The League 1 clubs enter the draw with the winners from the second round.
- Fourth round: The Championship teams enter the draw with the third round winners.
- Fifth round: The bottom four Super League teams enter the draw with the fourth round winners.
- Sixth round: The top eight Super League teams enter the draw with the eight fifth round winners.
- Quarter finals: Last eight.
- Semi finals: Played at neutral venue(s).
- Final: Played at Wembley Stadium, on the Saturday of the August bank holiday weekend.
Bookies will have odds available from the start of the season.
Rugby league betting odds are calculated on the probability of something happening.
For example, the odds of Batley Bulldogs winning the Challenge Cup are longer than the odds of Wigan Warriors winning the Challenge Cup. That is because the probability of Batley Bulldogs winning the Challenge Cup is much lower than the probability of Wigan Warriors winning the Challenge Cup.
If Batley Bulldogs were to win the next Challenge Cup after you placed a £10 bet on them to do so at 50/1, you would win £500. But if Wigan Warriors win after you placed a £10 bet on them to do so at 5/1, you would win £50.
The best Challenge Cup betting sites in the UK will display odds for different markets. Firstly, you will find outright odds for the winner of the cup, plus odds for teams to reach a certain stage of the competition.
Each match will display odds for the result (home win, away win, draw). Again these will move as things change (injuries, suspensions etc.) in the build up to the game.
Generally, if you add up the percentage probability of each of the three possible outcomes you can determine whether the odds are good value. Naturally the three percentages should make 100, however, that would leave the bookie without profit. What is a fair margin varies from sport to sport, however in rugby league the bookies who offer the best odds usually average around 108-110 (90-92% payout). In most Challenge Cup matches, especially with the best Challenge Cup betting sites, you can find other markets to bet on such as exact score, try scorers, result at half time etc.
Just like selecting your preferred bookmaker, there is a lot to consider when making Super League picks. To make well-informed picks in any sport you need to do plenty of research before placing your wagers. In rugby league recent form, injuries, suspensions, upcoming fixtures and style of play/characteristics of the teams are all important factors. You need to be aware of these when making your Challenge Cup bets.
Types of Challenge Cup bets
The types of Challenge Cup bets available will be familiar to anyone who regularly bets on rugby league. It is the outright markets where you can get wagers specific to the Challenge Cup. Rugby league bettors have never had more options available. In terms of the Challenge Cup punters can, for example, bet on outright winners and match results. Match stats are becoming more commonly available and some bookies are starting to introduce player props. Accas and multiples are also becoming popular. Bettors pick a number of games to predict the result from, with, for example, odds given for selecting four out of four correct results.
This is a bet on an event which is often some way down the line. Punters often bet on outright winners (the winner of a competition, for example the Challenge Cup)..
For an individual match punters bet on which team will win, or whether the game will end as a draw. An extension of this is betting on a specific result.
Over/Under (Total) bets
Betting the over/under in a match simply means you are wagering on how many points will be scored overall, not how many one team will score, or who will win.
As it sounds, double chance betting involves predicting two of the three possible outcomes in a rugby league match. In any game you will have three double chance options: Team 1 win + draw, Team 2 win + draw, Team 1 or Team 2 win.
Parlay: A parlay involves more than one wager combined together for greater odds. You can place a same game rugby league parlay — multiple events from one matchup — or alternatively, events across multiple games. Comprising three doubles and a treble, a Trixie is three selections and four bets. At least two of the selections must land to guarantee a payout. These bets are only widely available in the most popular rugby matches.
As stated earlier, accumulators, where punters try to match a number of results, are becoming more popular in rugby league betting.
The obvious risk is that all the bets have to win for the bettor to receive a payout. However, some bookmakers offer accumulator insurance so if one of your selections (minimum five selections) lets you down you will receive your stake back as a free bet.
Handicap betting helps punters get better odds if a game appears to be one-sided.
Prop markets are becoming more common, and they allow customers to bet on anything that may unfold during a game. Common prop bets include, correct score, first team to score, which team will score last plus others, depending on your bookie.
Depending on the bookie, there may be options to include props in a mixed parlay. Many bookmakers have rugby league bet builders and the option to tweet your customised bets to the bookie to get odds quoted.
Lots of rugby league bettors enjoy the excitement of live betting as the match flows. Bettors can follow the action then use their judgement to place bets as the game unfolds. Live streaming has made this more popular. Bookmakers offer several markets, such as which team will score the next points, the next try scorer.
Challenge Cup betting strategies
It is vital to invest a few hours in developing your Challenge Cup betting strategy. Firstly watch a lot of rugby league, including Challenge Cup matches to develop your knowledge and understanding. It is important to do some background research before making your wager. Look into stats, form, injuries, styles of play and upcoming fixtures. Try to apply your knowledge and understanding of the game to your selections. Read up on previews to see if it looks as though a higher ranked team might rest some first choice players against a team from a lower division. Look at the types of bets you prefer and develop your own strategy. Above all, gamble responsibly and make it fun.
Get to know more about the Challenge Cup to bet smarter
The Challenge Cup has been held annually since 1896, with the exception of 1915–1919 and 1939–1940, due to World War I and World War II respectively. The cup involves amateur, semi-professional and professional clubs.
The current holders of the Challenge Cup are Wigan, beating Huddersfield, 16–14 in the 2022 Final on 28 May 2022 at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, winning the competition for the twentieth time. The final is usually played at Wembley Stadium and is scheduled to return to this venue in 2023.
Wigan are the most successful club in the history of the competition, winning the Cup a record 20 times.
Who is the favourite to win the Challenge Cup in 2024?
St Helen’s are currently favourites to win the 2023 Challenge Cup, ahead of Wigan, Catalans Dragons and Leeds Rhinos. The 2023 winners, Leigh Leopards and finalists Hull KR could be in the mix again,
Who is competing in the Challenge Cup in 2024?
- Featherstone Lions
- Hull Dockers
- Ince Rose Bridge
- Myton Warriors
- Oulton Raiders
- Saddleworth Rangers
- Thornhill Trojans
- West Bowling
- Wigan St Patricks
- British Army
- Great Britain Police
- Royal Navy
- Ashton Bears
- Bedford Tigers
- Brentwood Eels
- Doncaster Toll Bar
- Dublin City Exiles
- Edinburgh Eagles
- Fryston Warriors
- Hammersmith Hills Hoists
- Jarrow Vikings
- London Chargers
- North Herts Crusaders
- Orrell St James
- Rhondda Outlaws
- Westgate Common
- Wests Warriors.
- Hunslet ARLFC
- Leigh Miners
- Lock Lane
- Pilkington Recs
- Rochdale Mayfield
- Thatto Heath Crusaders
- Wath Brow Hornets
- West Hull
- York Acorn
- Dewsbury Rams
- London Skolars
- Midlands Hurricanes
- North Wales Crusaders
- Rochdale Hornets
- West Wales Raiders
- Workington Town
- Barrow Raiders
- Batley Bulldogs
- Bradford Bulls
- Featherstone Rovers
- Halifax Panthers
- Keighley Cougars
- London Broncos
- Newcastle Thunder
- Sheffield Eagles
- Swinton Lions
- Toulouse Olympique
- Widens Vikings
- York Knights
- Castleford Tigers
- Catalans Dragons
- Huddersfield Giants
- Hull FC
- Hull Kingston Rovers
- Leigh Leopards
- Leeds Rhinos
- Salford Red Devils
- St Helens
- Wakefield Trinity
- Warrington Wolves
- Wigan Warriors
What are the key dates to keep in mind?
The Challenge Cup Final 2024 will take place at Wembley on June 8. Further details and the schedule for the earlier rounds will be available in early 2024.
For more on rugby league follow the link.