Popular for their attractive and easy-to-use website and their wide range of horse racing markets, Unibet is one of the best St Leger Stakes betting sites in the UK.
- Antepost betting
- Live streaming
- Competitive odds
New customers only. 18+, BeGambleAware.org. Min deposit £10. Money back as bonus. Wagering requirements: Sportsbook 3x at min. odds of 1.40 (2/5), Casino 50x. Only one bonus can be used at a time, Sportsbook bonus must be wagered before using the Casino, unless the bonus has been forfeited. Bonus will expire after 7 days of opt-in. Full T&Cs apply.
Unibet combines a stylish and functional website with regular and rewarding promotions. They offer great antepost betting for horse racing.
Why we like Unibet
Unibet is a contender to be considered the best St Leger Stakes betting site for the UK. The horse racing section of the website is well-structured, with the use of colour contributing to a good customer experience. You can delve deep into antepost odds, where there is a great range of markets. Keep an eye out for boosted odds through Uniboost leading up to the St Leger.
What Unibet offers you
- Uniboost daily for enhanced odds: You can boost horse racing odds three times per day at Unibet. This should give you some extra value in the build up to the St Leger.
- Frequent and rewarding promos: Unibet often introduces new promotions for both new and existing customers.
- Future bets: With antepost markets available well in advance, you can back your St Leger pick early to unlock the best value price.
- St Leger offers and promos: Unibet typically brings out promotions specifically for the biggest events on the calendar, such as the St Leger Stakes. Look out for their St Leger promos leading up to the race.
Best known for its spread betting service, SpreadEx also offers fixed odds for the core sports, helping it to become a favoured site among horse racing punters. They are up there with the best for the St Leger.
- Competitive odds
- Spread betting option available
- Informative website
Place a £25 fixed odds single bet at min. odds of 1/2 and get 5 x £5 free fixed odds single bets, as well as 2 x £5 free totals goals bets, 2 x £5 winning favourite bets, and 50 free spins on Starburst. Free bets applied to account on consecutive days. 18+ begambleaware.org T&Cs apply.
SpreadEx gives great welcome bonuses and provides excellent odds for the Grand National.
Why we like SpreadEx:
SpreadEx covers everything you would want from a horse racing betting site. Punters are after value first and foremost, which SpreadEx has thanks to their high odds for the St Leger. Promotions are easy to find and use, plus the website is hard to fault. The option to switch between spread betting and fixed odds is a nice bonus for some bettors, too.
What SpreadEx offers you
- Exceptional fixed odds for the St Leger: When pitted against the more well-known names in the industry, SpreadEx’s odds often compare favourably.
- Informative website: You will find a lot of detail on a SpreadEx betting page, including form and weight.
- ‘2nd to a rag’ insurance: If your horse finishes second to a 33/1 or longer outsider, you will receive money back as a free bet.
- Spread betting option available: Customers at SpreadEx can easily switch between the sportsbook and spread betting.
Operator of over 50 betting shops at racecourses all over the country, Betfred is a favourite of many horse racing punters.
- Live streaming of the St Leger
- Promos for existing customers
- Quality sign-up offer
New 18+ UK customers. Register with Welcome40. Deposit, using a Debit Card, and place first bet on sports within 7 days of registering. Bet must be £10+ at Evens (2.0)+ in one bet transaction. £40 in Free Bets credited within 10 hours of bet settlement, expires 7-days after issue. First bet must be settled within 7 days of registration. Proof of I.D and address may be required. Full T&Cs apply. Full T&Cs apply.
With a reputation for unique and attractive promotions, Betfred has long been among the best St Leger betting sites. The website is easy to navigate without being bland.
Why we like Betfred
Betfred provides a compelling range of St Leger offers, from No Runner No Bet to enhanced odds and free bets. Odds usually stack up favourably with competitors, and the website is structured in a way which makes it easy to use even on your first time visiting. Betfred also provide a great sign up offer of £40 Bonuses when you stake £10. Betfred provide live strreaming for the St Leger.
What Betfred offers you
- Coverage of horse racing throughout the year: Whether wanting to bet on next year’s St Leger or place a wager on a Tuesday morning, bettors are spoilt for choice with Betfred.
- Favourable special offers for existing customers: Betfred doesn’t neglect its existing customers, even pairing with Uber Eats for a £10 free voucher if certain qualifications are met.
- Live streaming: Betfred provide live streaming of the St Leger.
- Extra place payouts: Extra place payouts are everywhere in the build up to the St Leger, and Betfred’s offers are usually one of the most generous.
A new face on the scene, BetUK has quickly made a name for itself as one of the leading bookmakers in the UK since being founded in 2020. They offer a great service for horse racing, including the St Leger Stakes.
- Best Odds for EPL
- Best Odds for UCL
- 24-hour live chat service
- Acca Club with profit boosts on a weekly basis
- Competitve St Leger odds
New customers, Deposit & Place a Bet within 7 days, and settle a £10 minimum bet at odds of 4/5 (1.8) or greater, to be credited with 3x £10 free bets: 1 x £10 Horse racing, 1 x £10 Free Bet Builder and 1 x £10 Football. Stake not returned. T&C’s Apply.
BetUK have quickly put themselves in contention to be the best St Leger Stakes betting site in the UK. The Acca Club headlines its offering.
Why we like BetUK
BetUK provides an easy-to-navigate and smooth website. The horse racing odds are always competitive, with the St Leger proving to be no exception. The weekly Acca Club is particularly appealing for punters who like backing multiple selections.
What BetUK offers you
- Profit Boosts through Acca Club: Regularly back accumulators and you can receive £5 in free bets each week, along with profit boosts for qualifying wagers.
- Competitive odds: BetUK offer good value odds for the St Leger.
- Commitment to safer gambling: BetUK has made a significant effort to make gambling safer, and ranks well for bettor safety.
- Always available customer service: A 24-hour live chat option isn’t offered by every bookmaker. You will find BetUK are very helpful whenever you make contact.
- Functional, user-friendly website: BetUK have struck the balance between appealing and functional with their website.
William Hill have a world wide reputation matched by very few bookies. Top-level security, regular odds boosts and coverage of horse racing around the world make them one of the UK’s best St Leger Stakes betting sites.
- Live streaming
- Enhanced odds
- Early outright odds available
18+. Play Safe. From 00:01 on 18.10.2022. £30 bonus. New customers only. Minimum £10 stake on odds of 1/2 (1.5) or greater on sportsbook (excluding Virtual markets). Further terms apply.
William Hill cover horse racing in the UK and Ireland comprehensively and offer a quality service for the St Leger. Their regular odds boosts keep things interesting.
Why we like William Hill:
William Hill are a great option for horse racing punters. They have a long list of antepost markets and a catalogue of races covered every day. They have regular promos and price boosts, especially on big events such as the St Leger. The process from registering to collecting winnings is straight-forward.
What William Hill offers you
- Huge range of horse racing markets: William Hill offer great depth for racing punters. You will find many specials for St Leger in the build up.
- Live Streaming: Many horse races are are live streamed on William Hill, including the St Leger.
- High quality customer service: Contactable through live chat, phone or email, the William Hill customer service experience ranks among the best in the sports betting industry.
- Early horse racing specials: Weeks before the big meetings, like the National and the Derby, you can delve into William Hill’s specials, covering the winning distance, numbers of finishers and more.
How our experts choose the best sites to bet on the St Leger Stakes
Evaluating the best St Leger Stakes betting sites in the UK is a complex task. Bookies throw a lot at you with their specials, odds boosts and numerous promotions. Trying to put that altogether to reach a conclusion is far from straight-forward, so it is helpful to establish some set priorities.
Chris Sampson: In my opinion, the leading bookmakers for The St Leger Stakes will make antepost betting available well in advance of the race, and provide a number of specials for punters to choose between. I want to see enhanced odds across various markets, too.
Compare the best St Leger Stakes betting sites of 2023
All eyes are on the St Leger Stakes at Doncaster at the start of September each year. It is a major date in the flat racing season. It is a time for bookies to try and stand out from the crowd.
With so much to consider, here is a quick-fire comparison of the best St Leger Stakes betting sites in the UK:
|Site Name||Betting.com Rating||Best For||Full Review|
|William Hill||4.2/5||Enhanced odds||Review|
How to choose the best site for you
At Betting.com, we have dedicated time to learn about the pros and cons of numerousSt Leger Stakes betting sites. You should still, however, have a look around for yourself before coming to a decision.
Here are some criteria to bear in mind:
- Keep an eye out for licenses: All bettors want to make sure the site they are using is safe. Avoid unwanted surprises by wagering on licensed betting sites.
- Choose the right welcome offer: Scroll through a few different welcome offers before picking a site. Read through the terms and conditions to make sure it’s an offer which works for you.
- Compare the Grand National odds: You want to be betting somewhere with competitive odds for the St Leger. Compare their prices using an odds comparison website.
- Research the payment methods available: The standard payment methods will be available at every bookmaker, but the speed of deposits and withdrawals can vary considerably. You want to be confident there are no hidden charges and money will be transferred rapidly.
- Check what others think: You can learn a lot about a bookmaker by finding out how other punters have felt.
- Download the app: Some betting apps are better than others. If you are wanting to bet on your phone or tablet, test out the usability of their app.
- Try out the sign-up: If you think you’ve settled on a site, see how the sign-up process goes. Once you’ve joined, you can develop a deeper understanding of what it would be like to be a regular punter through their app or website.
Betting on the St Leger Stakes explained
The St Leger is the final leg of the English Triple Crown, which begins with the 2000 Guineas and continues with the Derby. It also completes the Fillies’ Triple Crown, following on from the 1000 Guineas and the Oaks. Established in 1776, the St Leger is the oldest of Britain’s five Classics. It is the last of the five to be run each year, and its distance is longer than any of the other four.
Odds for the St Leger are available well before the race. Antepost markets go live weeks before the race itself.
Making your picks for the St Leger takes a fair amount of research. You want to know how the horse, trainer and jockey have fared at the venue in the past.
Types of Epsom bets
Regular horse racing bettors will be very familiar with the types of bets available at the St Leger.
As simple as it sounds, a bet on the race winner will pay out if the horse you’ve backed wins the race.
Each-way bets cover the horse winning the race or placing. The best St Leger Stakes betting sites will pay out extra places on each-way wagers.
Distance bets are a wager on the gap between the winning horse and the second-place horse.
Antepost markets are sometimes referred to as outrights or futures.
Epsom betting strategies
Set aside some time to put together a betting strategy for the St Leger Stakes. Perhaps trial it on some races before the main event. You will need to research the form of horses, the going and betting trends to compile a strategy.
Get to know more about the St Leger Stakes to bet smarter
The St Leger Stakes, first run in 1776, is a Group 1 flat horse race, open to three-year-old thoroughbred colts and fillies. It is run at Doncaster over a distance of 1 mile, 6 furlongs and 115 yards (2,921 metres), which makes it the longest of Britain’s five classics, as well as the oldest. Taking place in September each year, it is the final classic of the year to be held.
The St Leger is the final leg of the English Triple Crown, which begins with the 2000 Guineas and continues with the Derby. It also completes the Fillies’ Triple Crown, following on from the 1000 Guineas and the Oaks.
St Leger Records and Stats
Betting.com present some of the records and statistics from the St Leger Stakes.
Leading jockey (9 wins):
Bill Scott – Jack Spigot (1821), Memnon (1825), The Colonel (1828), Rowton (1829), Don John (1838), Charles the Twelfth (1839), Launcelot (1840), Satirist (1841), Sir Tatton Sykes (1846)
Leading trainer (16 wins):
John Scott – Matilda (1827), The Colonel (1828), Rowton (1829), Margrave (1832), Touchstone (1834), Don John (1838), Charles the Twelfth (1839), Launcelot (1840), Satirist (1841), The Baron (1845), Newminster (1851), West Australian (1853), Warlock (1856), Imperieuse (1857), Gamester (1859), The Marquis (1862)
Leading owner (7 wins):
Archibald Hamilton, 9th Duke of Hamilton – Paragon (1786), Spadille (1787), Young Flora (1788), Tartar (1792), Petronius (1808), Ashton (1809), William (1814)
Fastest winning time (at Doncaster) – Logician (2019), 3m 00.27s
Widest winning margin – Never Say Die (1954), 12 lengths
Longest odds winner – Theodore (1822), 200/1
Shortest odds winner – Galtee More (1897), 1/10
Most runners – 30, in 1825
Fewest runners – 3, in 1917
Who is the favourite to win the St Leger Stakes in 2023?
Gregory, trained by J & T Gosden is the narrow favourite to win the St Leger Stakes in 2023. At the time of writing Unibet are offering odds of 7/2, the same price as most bookie’s second favourite, Continuous. Desert Hero, Arrest and Middle Earth are also tipped to be in the mix.
Who is competing at the St Leger Stakes in 2023?
St Vincents Garden
Tower Of London
Up And Under
What are the key dates to keep in mind?
Thursday September 14 2023 – Day 1, Ladies Day
Friday September 15 2023 – Day 2, Doncaster Cup Day
Saturday September 16 2023 – Day 3, Betfred St Leger Day, St Leger Stakes, 3.55pm BST
Sunday September 17 – Day 4, St Leger Community Funday