Who Is Portugal Striker Gonçalo Ramos?
Benfica striker Gonçalo Ramos announced himself to the world by scoring a hat-trick in Portugal’s 6-1 World Cup round of 16 win over Switzerland.
Gonçalo Ramos scored a hat-trick for Portugal in their 6-1 last 16 win against Switzerland.
Ramos also added an assist after replacing Cristiano Ronaldo in the starting XI for his first international start.
Portugal manager Fernando Santos had never previously named Ramos as a starter, with his three previous international caps coming as a substitute.
Ramos carried good form into the World Cup with nine goals in 11 league appearances for Benfica.
Ramos, nicknamed ‘The Wizard’, stands at 6’1, and utilises that size in his hold up play. He has drawn comparisons to Karim Benzema for his ability to drop deeper and create chances for others.
“Not even in my best dreams did I think I would be in the starting XI for the knockout phases,” said Ramos after his hat-trick.
Santos, following Ramos’ match-winning performance, said: “Goncalo is very dynamic and that’s what he ended up showing us.”
Here’s everything you need to know about Gonçalo Ramos.
Gonçalo Ramos’ Benfica Career
- Ramos made his Benfica debut on 21st July 2020 during a 4-0 win over Desportivo Das Aves.
- Ramos finished as a runner-up in the Taça da Liga in 2021-22 and the Taça de Portugal in 2020-21.
- Ramos broke through into the Benfica senior team in 2021-22, clocking 46 appearances and scoring eight goals in all competitions.
- Ramos scored his first Champions League goal against Liverpool in 2021-22 quarter finals, becoming Benfica’s second youngest goalscorer in the latter stages of the competition.
- Ramos scored his first senior hat-trick against Midtjylland in 2022-23 Champions League qualification. He also played a pivotal role as Benfica topped their group ahead of PSG and Juventus.
- Ramos is under contract with Benfica until the end of the 2024-25 and has a release clause in the region of £100 million.
Gonçalo Ramos’ Portugal Career
- Ramos scored his second, third and fourth goals for Portugal against Switzerland in the last 16 of the 2022 World Cup.
- Ramos became the first player since Tomáš Skuhravý in 1990 to score a hat-trick in the knockout rounds of the World Cup and the first player since Miroslav Klose in 2002 to score a hat-trick in his first World Cup start.
- Ramos scored his first senior international goal against Nigeria on 17th November 2022.
- All of Ramos’ caps prior to his start against Switzerland had been substitute appearances.
Gonçalo Ramos’ Youth Career
- Ramos finished as UEFA Youth League top scorer in 2019-20.
- Ramos began his career in the youth system of Olhanense before joining Benfica’s academy at 12 years old.
- Ramos made his debut for Benfica’s reserve team against Braga B on 13th January 2019.
- Ramos signed a contract extension with Benfica in October 2020, months after scoring a brace in the UEFA Youth League final against Real Madrid.