Who Is New Liverpool signing Cody Gakpo?
Having been heavily linked with Manchester United, PSV Eindhoven forward Cody Gakpo has joined Liverpool after starring for the Netherlands at the 2022 World Cup.
Cody Gakpo scored in all three of the Netherlands’ group matches at the World Cup. Despite repeatedly being linked with a big-money move to Manchester United, he will join their Premier League rivals Liverpool on 1st January for a fee that could rise to £45m.
Gakpo is 23 years old and has scored 72 goals in 183 appearances at club level. Former Manchester United manager and current Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal has made Gakpo a pivotal player for the Oranje.
Speaking about Gakpo’s potential, Van Gaal said: “Things can change but Cody has everything it takes to become a star. He has a wonderful personality to become a star player because he is open-minded to anything and everything.”
We have covered everything you need to know about Cody Gakpo.
Cody Gakpo’s Liverpool Career
- Gakpo will join Liverpool on 1st January 2023, with the Reds paying between £35m and £45m for his services.
- Gakpo has signed a five-and-a-half year contract, which runs until 2028, and will wear the No. 18 shirt.
- Gakpo was convinced to join Jurgen Klopp’s side after speaking to Netherlands team-mate Virgil van Dijk. “We spoke a lot over the phone,” said Gakpo. “What he told me is that this is the right move for me to develop to become a better player.”
- Jurgen Klopp told the Liverpool website: “There is a lot to like about Cody. He is very versatile and on top of this we know he is a smart footballer and also a smart person, so we are really excited to be able to work with him.”
Cody Gakpo’s PSV Career
- Gakpo made his first-team debut for PSV Eindhoven on 25th February 2018 during a win over Feyenoord.
- Gakpo won the 2017-18 Eredivisie with PSV, but he made only one appearance in the campaign.
- Gakpo was named Dutch Footballer of the Year in 2021-22, which was the 13th time a PSV player had won the award.
- Gakpo became the first PSV player to be named Footballer of the Year since Georginio Wijnaldum in 2014-15.
- Gakpo won the 2021-22 KNVB Cup and scored the winning goal in the final against Ajax following a goal in the quarter-final win over NAC Breda.
- Gakpo is under contract at PSV until the end of the 2025-26 season which reportedly includes a release clause.
- Gakpo scored his first senior hat-trick against Go Ahead Eagles in December 2018.
- Gakpo was subject to interest from Manchester United, Southampton and Leeds during the 2022 summer transfer window.
Cody Gakpo’s Netherlands Career
- Gakpo scored in each of the Netherlands’ group games at the 2022 World Cup.
- Gakpo made his debut for the Dutch senior team in the group stage of Euro 2020.
- He was the first Dutch player to make his international debut at the European Championships since Martien Vreijsen at the 1980 edition.
- Gakpo represented the Netherlands at under-18, under-19, under-20 and under-21 levels.
Cody Gakpo’s Youth Career
- Gakpo joined the PSV Eindhoven academy in 2007, and progressed through the age groups at his hometown club.
- Gakpo debuted for Jong PSV on 4th November 2016, but primarily featured for the under-19 team until the start of 2017.
- In just his second appearance for Jong PSV, Gakpo scored twice and assisted the other in a 3-2 win over De Graafschap.
- In 2018-19, then first team coach Mark van Bommel began to name Gakpo in his matchday squads.
- Gakpo ultimately became a feature in the first team later that season, making 19 appearances in all competitions.