Cody Gakpo scored in all three of the Netherlands’ group matches at the World Cup. Despite repeatedly being linked with a big-money move to Manchester United, he will join their Premier League rivals Liverpool on 1st January for a fee that could rise to £45m.
Gakpo is 23 years old and has scored 72 goals in 183 appearances at club level. Former Manchester United manager and current Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal has made Gakpo a pivotal player for the Oranje.
Speaking about Gakpo’s potential, Van Gaal said: “Things can change but Cody has everything it takes to become a star. He has a wonderful personality to become a star player because he is open-minded to anything and everything.”
We have covered everything you need to know about Cody Gakpo.
Cody Gakpo’s Liverpool Career
- Gakpo will join Liverpool on 1st January 2023, with the Reds paying between £35m and £45m for his services.
- Gakpo has signed a five-and-a-half year contract, which runs until 2028, and will wear the No. 18 shirt.
- Gakpo was convinced to join Jurgen Klopp’s side after speaking to Netherlands team-mate Virgil van Dijk. “We spoke a lot over the phone,” said Gakpo. “What he told me is that this is the right move for me to develop to become a better player.”
- Jurgen Klopp told the Liverpool website: “There is a lot to like about Cody. He is very versatile and on top of this we know he is a smart footballer and also a smart person, so we are really excited to be able to work with him.”
Cody Gakpo’s PSV Career
- Gakpo made his first-team debut for PSV Eindhoven on 25th February 2018 during a win over Feyenoord.
- Gakpo won the 2017-18 Eredivisie with PSV, but he made only one appearance in the campaign.
- Gakpo was named Dutch Footballer of the Year in 2021-22, which was the 13th time a PSV player had won the award.
- Gakpo became the first PSV player to be named Footballer of the Year since Georginio Wijnaldum in 2014-15.
- Gakpo won the 2021-22 KNVB Cup and scored the winning goal in the final against Ajax following a goal in the quarter-final win over NAC Breda.
- Gakpo is under contract at PSV until the end of the 2025-26 season which reportedly includes a release clause.
- Gakpo scored his first senior hat-trick against Go Ahead Eagles in December 2018.
- Gakpo was subject to interest from Manchester United, Southampton and Leeds during the 2022 summer transfer window.
Cody Gakpo’s Netherlands Career
- Gakpo scored in each of the Netherlands’ group games at the 2022 World Cup.
- Gakpo made his debut for the Dutch senior team in the group stage of Euro 2020.
- He was the first Dutch player to make his international debut at the European Championships since Martien Vreijsen at the 1980 edition.
- Gakpo represented the Netherlands at under-18, under-19, under-20 and under-21 levels.
Cody Gakpo’s Youth Career
- Gakpo joined the PSV Eindhoven academy in 2007, and progressed through the age groups at his hometown club.
- Gakpo debuted for Jong PSV on 4th November 2016, but primarily featured for the under-19 team until the start of 2017.
- In just his second appearance for Jong PSV, Gakpo scored twice and assisted the other in a 3-2 win over De Graafschap.
- In 2018-19, then first team coach Mark van Bommel began to name Gakpo in his matchday squads.
- Gakpo ultimately became a feature in the first team later that season, making 19 appearances in all competitions.