Sergio Busquets has won everything there is to win for club and country.
A continental and world champion with Spain and a stalwart through years of Barcelona dominance, the Sabadell native is not the flashiest or most athletic player, but he has been invaluable to his teams.
Busquets is into the twilight years at the top, perhaps nearing the stage where a move to MLS becomes a realistic possibility.
Here’s a look at Busquets’ greatest achievements and honours in his decorated playing career.
Sergio Busquets’ Barcelona Achievements
- Busquets has won eight La Liga titles and three Champions Leagues with Barcelona.
- Busquets has made 696 appearances and scored 18 goals for the Barcelona first team.
- His tally of 463 La Liga appearances is joint-20th on the all-time list.
- Busquets has made 129 Champions League appearances, which ranks 13th all-time ahead of Gerard Pique and Clarence Seedorf.
- Only Xavi and Lionel Messi have made more appearances for Barcelona.
- Among active players, Joaquin Sanchez and Raul Garcia are the only players with more La Liga appearances than Busquets.
- Busquets run of 25 consecutive La Liga wins between 2009-10 and 2010-11 is the most by any Barcelona player.
- Busquets is tied with Lionel Messi, Gerard Pique, Jose Maria Belauste and Piru Gainza for the most Copa del Rey wins with seven.
- Only Busquets and Messi have appeared in 10 Copa del Rey finals.
- Busquets was awarded La Liga Breakthrough Player in 2009.
- He also received the Bravo Award in 2009 for being the ‘most outstanding young European footballer’.
- Busquets was included in the Champions League Squad of the Season in 2014-15.
- Surprisingly, he has only been named in the La Liga Team of the Season once, which came in 2015-16.
- Busquets has won the Supercopa de España on six occasions (2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2016, 2018).
- Busquets is a three-time winner of the Club World Cup (2009, 2011, 2015).
- Busquets made his first-team debut for Barcelona in 2008-09 and scored his first goal for the senior team against Basel in the Champions League group stage.
- When he won the 2009 Champions League after starting in the final against Manchester United, Sergio and his father Carles became just the third father-son duo to have won Europe’s premier club competition with the same team.
- Busquets was a regular as Barcelona completed a domestic league, domestic cup and European cup treble in 2014-15, becoming the first club ever to achieve the feat twice.
- Busquets captained Barcelona for the first time on 3rd October 2015 in an away defeat to Sevilla.
- On 24th November 2018, Busquets made his 500th appearance for Barcelona.
- In August 2021, he was named club captain following Lionel Messi’s move to PSG.
Sergio Busquets’ Spain Achievements
- Busquets has made 140 appearances for Spain, scoring two goals in the process.
- Busquets won Euro 2012 and the 2010 World Cup with La Roja.
- Only Iker Casillas and Sergio Ramos have made more appearances for Spain.
- Just 18 Europeans have more international caps than Busquets, who continues to climb the list.
- Busquets played every minute of Spain’s Euro 2012 campaign, and was ultimately named to the Team of the Tournament along with nine fellow Spaniards.
- He made his international debut against Turkey in 2009, playing 16 minutes off the bench after replacing David Silva.
- Busquets’ first international goal was scored in September 2014 against Macedonia in a qualifying match for Euro 2016.
- On 9th October 2017, Busquets made his 100th appearance for Spain.
- Busquets captained Spain for the first time on 7th October 2020 and was named skipper for Euro 2020.
- Busquets was integral as Spain reached the final of the 2020-21 Nations League.
- He was rewarded with being named Player of the Nations League Finals.
Sergio Busquets’ World Cup Achievements
- Busquets won the 2010 World Cup with Spain.
- Busquets has competed in four World Cups (2010, 2014, 2018, 2022).
- As of November 24th 2022, Busquets has made 14 World Cup appearances.
- Only four Spaniards have appeared in more World Cup matches than Busquets (Xavi, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Andoni Zubizarreta).
- Just four players overall have played in more than Busquets’ total of four World Cups (Antonio Carbajal, Lionel Messi, Rafael Marquez, Lothar Matthäus).
- Busquets was named to the FIFA World Cup All-Star Team in 2010 alongside teammates Joan Capdevila, Carles Puyol, Sergio Ramos and David Villa.
- Busquets played all but 30 minutes of Spain’s victories 2010 World Cup campaign, and finished with the third-highest pass completion in the competition.