Sometimes divisive but always brilliant, Neymar has not always been a favourite of the neutrals, yet his career to date can only be matched by a handful of players in the 21st century.
At Santos, he was tipped for greatness, and he has met those lofty demands.
With Brazil he has carried the weight of an expectant nation, while making bold career moves at club level, walking away from the dream at Barcelona to supposedly go it alone with PSG.
There is a sense Neymar’s career will only be properly appreciated once he hangs up his boots – let’s take a look at what he’s achieved so far.
Neymar’s Santos Achievements
- Neymar won the Campeonato Paulista in three straight seasons (2010, 2011, 2012) with Santos.
- He also lifted the Copa do Brasil in 2010 and the Copa Libertadores in 2011.
- Neymar made 225 appearances and scored 136 goals for Santos.
- Neymar was named in the Team of the Year in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- He also won the Chuteira de Ouro in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- In 2011, Neymar was named Copa Libertadores Most Valuable Player and World Soccer Young Player of the Year.
- He shone at the Club World Cup, winning the Bronze Ball, and received South American Footballer of the Year in 2011 and 2012.
Neymar’s Barcelona Achievements
- Neymar won back-to-back La Liga titles (2014-15, 2015-16) and the Champions League (2014-15) with Barcelona.
- He also lifted the Copa del Rey in three consecutive seasons (2014-15, 2015-16, 2016-17).
- Neymar scored 105 goals in 186 appearances for the Catalan giants.
- Only three players (Lionel Messi, Rivaldo, Luis Suarez) have scored more Champions League goals for Barcelona.
- He was tied with Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo for Champions League top scorer in 2014-15.
- Neymar was twice named in the FIFPro World 11 during his time in Catalunya.
- Barcelona sold Neymar to PSG for £198 million, the biggest fee they have ever received for a player.
Neymar PSG Achievements
- Neymar has won nine major trophies with PSG since joining from Barcelona in 2017.
- He has won Ligue 1 on four occasions (2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20, 2021-22) and lifted the Coupe de France three times (2017-18, 2019-20, 2020-21).
- Neymar has scored 115 goals in 164 appearances for PSG.
- Only Edinson Cavani, Kylian Mbappe and Zlatan Ibrahimovic have scored more goals for the club.
- Neymar was named Ligue 1 Player of the Year in 2017-18 after scoring 19 goals in 20 appearances.
- Neymar was included in the Ligue 1 Team of the Year in 2017-18, 2018-19 and 2020-21.
- Neymar led Ligue 1 in assists in 2017-18 and he has 65 assists in total since joining the club.
- Neymar is one of nine PSG players to score four goals in a match, which he achieved against Dijon in January 2019.
- Champions League hat tricks against Red Star Belgrade and İstanbul Başakşehir make Neymar one of two PSG players to score multiple hat tricks in European competition.
- PSG made Neymar the most expensive player in football history when they paid almost £200 million to sign the Brazilian from Barcelona.
Neymar’s Brazil Achievements
- Neymar has 75 goals in 121 caps for Brazil.
- Neymar is second on Brazil’s all-time goal scoring list and just two goals behind Pele.
- Only three players (Cafu, Roberto Carlos, Dani Alves) have recorded more caps for Brazil than Neymar.
- Neymar is joint-12th in the list of players with the most international goals, level with Sandor Kocsis, Vivian Woodward, Bashar Abdullah and Kunishige Kamamoto.
- Lionel Messi and Pele are the only CONMEBOL players with more international goals.
- His only silverware with the Canarinho is the 2013 Confederations Cup.
- Neymar won the Golden Ball at the 2013 Confederations Cup.
- Despite Brazil losing the 2021 Copa America final to Argentina, Neymar was included in the Team of the Tournament.
- On 10th October 2019, Neymar won his 100th cap for Brazil in a friendly against Senegal.
- Neymar won his first cap in August 2010 at just 18 years old and scored just 26 minutes into his international career.
Neymar’s World Cup Achievements
- Including the 2022 edition, Neymar has appeared in three World Cups.
- Neymar scored four goals at the 2014 World Cup before injury ended his tournament and two in Russia four years later as Brazil were knocked out at the last eight.
- His six World Cup goals is the joint-ninth most by a Brazilian player with Bebeto and Rivellino.
- Neymar won the Bronze Boot at the 2014 World Cup and was included in the All-Star XI.
- A goal against Costa Rica in injury time at the 2018 World Cup moved Neymar to third on Brazil’s all-time goal scoring list.
- Neymar is Brazil’s all-time top scorer in World Cup qualification matches.