In November 2020, 55 of Louisiana’s 64 parishes approved the legalization of sports betting. This legislation enable casinos in the state to pursue a master license, allowing them to inaugurate online sportsbooks. In November 2021, retail locations allowed sports betting and then January 2022, online sportsbooks were launched.
To date, the Louisiana Gaming Control Board, the principal regulatory body in the state, has sanctioned licenses to 19 operators (14 riverboat casinos, 4 racino horse tracks, and Harrah’s casino). This has introduced some of the most notable names in the betting industry to Louisiana, drawing significant attention from Betting.com.
But which are the premier betting sites in Louisiana, and what distinguishes them as such? Stay tuned for our analysis and judgment on the various bonuses, odds, betting apps, and additional features that render these sites exceptional.
Sport Betting Sites Regulation in Louisiana at a Glance
✅ Louisiana legalized retail and online sports betting in November 2020.
✅ Players must be at least 21 years old to register and bet.
✅ Each licensee can launch two skins.
✅ Betting on entertainment and high school events is prohibited.
✅ First sportsbooks launched in November 2021.
Top 3 Louisiana Betting Sites
Among the six operators currently live in Louisiana, choosing the top three sites requires intense research. We’ve dug deep and looked into these sites’ odds and lines, bonuses, stability of apps and their features, payment methods, and many other aspects of these sportsbooks to compare them.
The table below shows the best betting sites in Louisiana.
- Live streaming available on selected sports
- Excellent sign-up bonuses
- Easy deposit and withdrawal process
GAMBLING PROBLEM? CALL 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) (CO/IL/IN/LA/MD/MI/NJ/OH/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY), (800) 327-5050 or visit gamblinghelplinema.org (MA). Call 877-8-HOPENY/text HOPENY (467369) (NY). Please Gamble Responsibly. Call 1-800-NEXT STEP (AZ), 1-800-522-4700 (KS/NH), 888-789-7777/visit ccpg.org (CT), 1-800-BETS OFF (IA), or visit OPGR.org (OR). 21+ (18+ NH/WY). Physically present in AZ/CO/CT/IL/IN/IA/KS/LA(select parishes)/MA/MD/MI/NJ/NY/OH/PA/TN/VA/WV/WY only. Void in NH/OR/ONT. Full T&Cs Apply.
- Placing a bet is straightforward
- The interface on the website and app is intuitive and easy to use
- It is easy to find the odds for the particular bet you want to make
Offer valid and must be physically present in AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, or WY. 21+. See Caesars.com/promos for full terms. Know When To Stop Before You Start.® Gambling Problem? IL, MD, NJ, OH, TN, VA, WV, PA: If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling 1-800-GAMBLER (1-800-426-2537) or MD: visit mdgamblinghelp.org or WV: visit 1800gambler.net; AZ: Call 1-800-NEXT-STEP; CO, WY, KS: Call 1-800-522-4700; IN: Call 1-800-9-WITH-IT; IA: Call 1-800-BETSOFF; LA: Call 1-877-770-STOP; MI: Call 1-800-270-7117. GAMBLING PROBLEM? Call 1-800-GAMBLER. MA: CALL 1-800-327-5050 or visit gamblinghelplinema.org. NY: Call 877-8-HOPENY or text HOPENY (467369).
- Trustworthy reputation
- Comprehensive coverage of sports and leagues
- User-friendly website and mobile app
Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER in CO, DC, IL, IN, KS, LA, MD, MS, NJ, NV, OH, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY. Call 877-8-HOPENY or text HOPENY (467369) (NY). Call 1-800-327-5050 (MA). 21+ to wager. Please Gamble Responsibly. Call 1-800-NEXT-STEP (AZ), 1-800-BETS-OFF (IA), 1-800-270-7117 for confidential help (MI), 1-800-981-0023 (PR). In partnership with Kansas Crossing Casino and Hotel. Visit BetMGM.com for Terms & Conditions. US promotional offers not available in DC, Mississippi, Nevada, New York, Ontario or Puerto Rico.
Best Louisana Betting Apps
Louisiana bettors get a few options when it comes to betting apps. However, not all provide the same stability, customization options, and responsive interface. Here are the best Louisiana betting apps you would be happy to download.
|Rank||Betting Site||Why Play Here?||Go to Site|
|#1||DraftKings||Cleanest bet slips — no lag whatsoever||Visit|
|#2||BetRivers||Great second chance betting option||Visit|
|#3||Caesars Sportsbook||Top props pricing that allows you to hedge bets||Visit|
|#4||BetMGM||Best for live betting while live streaming||Visit|
Best Louisiana Betting Sites for Beginners
Newcomers to the world of sports betting may feel overwhelmed by the choices of betting sites in Louisiana. To help you out, betting.com narrowed down the selection of the top four betting sites for beginners.
|Rank||Betting Site||Why Play Here?||Go to Site|
|#1||DraftKings||Offers daily odds boosts||Visit|
|#2||BetRivers||Huge selection of player props||Visit|
|#3||Caesars Sportsbook||Simple user interface with odds boost situated at the top of the menu||Visit|
|#4||BetMGM||Consistently good lines for the favorites||Visit|
New Betting Sites in Louisiana
New betting sites are popping up all the time. Here are some sports betting sites that plan on coming to Louisiana
|Betting Site||Date of launch||Go to site|
|Bally Bet||No date announced|
|Golden Nugget Sportsbook||No date announced|
|Fubo Sportsbook||No date announced|
|Betfred Sportsbook||No date announced||Visit|
All Betting Sites Available in Louisiana
Here’s a full list of sports betting sites currently available in Louisiana in alphabetical order:
- Barstool Sportsbook (Soon to be ESPN Sportsbook)
- Caesars Sportsbook
Best Louisiana Betting Sites Bonuses and Promotions
There are no legal restrictions in terms of the size and type of bonuses LA betting sites can offer players, which gives them considerable wiggle room and a chance for sportsbooks to be creative. The only restriction applies to advertising purposes and bonuses deemed free bet bonuses. Namely, if you see a free bet bonus on the site or our page, the bonus is truly free, so you need not stake real money to get the bonus.
Type of Bonuses and Promotions Available in Louisiana
Louisiana sportsbooks like providing bonuses to appeal to new players and retain existing customers. The competition is fierce, so sometimes a bonus could be why a user chooses that platform.
Below are some of the most common types of bonuses in Louisiana sports betting apps:
- Deposit match bonus: LA sportsbooks may match a portion of your first deposit in bonus funds. The bonus funds are either issued as site credit or a bonus bet. You can spread site credit on multiple events and markets, whereas with a bonus bet, you might be required to use the entire sum on a single event.
- First bet bonus: First bet bonuses are usually part of sign-up promotions. When you deposit and place a first bet on the site, the sportsbook will match your initial stake in site credit or bonus bet. If you are successful in betting with the bonus, you can cash out only the winnings generated from the wager, not the bonus stake.
- Odds boost: While odds boost may not be considered a separate promotion, they can make all the difference in the world for bettors. Louisiana betting sites may boost the odds for specific events between 10 and 25% on average, thus willingly reducing their juice and giving players a chance to win more if the bets are settled in their favor.
- Cashback bonus: Cashback bonuses are particularly useful when it comes to easing the pain from a loss, especially if you lose that final leg of the parlay. A sportsbook will give you back a percentage of your losses accrued over a designated period back as bonus bets. Usually, you will get up to 10% back.
- VIP/Loyalty program: Most sportsbooks have a dedicated promo campaign directed towards regular depositors and players to reward them for their loyalty. These VIP/loyalty programs, such as Caesars Rewards or BetMGM’s MGM Rewards, give players tier and rewards credits every time they place a wager. Reward credits can be exchanged for free bets, bonus bets, and other perks, while tier credits contribute towards higher levels of the program and more generous rewards.
- Free bets: Free bets are the rarest forms of bonuses found on Louisiana sports betting sites and the most coveted ones. Namely, LA betting apps will give players a certain amount in bonus bets absolutely for free. No deposit or payment is needed.
- Matched bet: When bettors place a bet with qualifying odds averaging -120 or longer on a select market or event, the bookies will match a percentage of that stake in bonus bets.
- Insurance Bets: Insurance bets provide a safety net should your parlays or other wagers go wrong. Sportsbooks will issue bonus bets in case your moneyline bet falls through in the overtime or if your 4+ leg parlay loses.
- Refer a friend: If you spread the good word about a Louisiana betting app among friends, and refer them to that book, both you and the friend that registers, verifies, and deposits into the sportsbook will receive additional bonus bets.
21+ only, must be present in Louisana, terms and conditions apply. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, call 1-877-770-STOP where trained counselors can refer you to treatment options in Louisana.
Type of Bets Available in Louisiana
Louisiana online sportsbooks offer a plethora of betting markets with no restrictions on how much you can stake, unlike their retail counterparts, which can only take $100 bets max. This allows sportsbooks to offer huge payouts.
Here’s a quick list of the most popular wagers in the state:
- Moneyline: Moneyline bets are the simplest forms of bets where you bet on the match winner.
- Point spreads: With point spreads, you bet on the match’s winner and the point margin. The favorite must cover the point spread in its win, whereas the underdog will have to win or lose by fewer points than the indicated spread for the bet to be successful. Point spread in baseball is called a run line.
- Totals: Totals are wagers where you choose whether the number of points in a match will be over or under the benchmark number set by the sportsbook.
- Props: Props or proposition wagers are bets on the specific outcome of a play in a game, such as will a player score a certain amount of points or a particular team score the next touchdown. There can be both team and player props.
- Futures: Futures are long-term bets on an event that will happen down the road, such as the Super Bowl or the Stanley Cup winner.
- Parlays: Parlays are wagers where you include several selections on a bet slip, and each of these selections needs to come through for the parlay to pay.
- Same Game Parlays: With Same Game Parlays, you can include several betting markets from a single event, such as the team’s win, the total number of points, and the number of points from the leading scorer. Most sportsbooks allow you to put between 6 and 10 markets for an SGS.
- Teasers: Teasers allow you to shift the game lines a bit to your advantage for better odds but smaller payouts.
Popular Sports and League to Bet on in Louisiana
Louisiana hosts both college and professional teams, which draws a lot of attention from the bettors. State-regulated sportsbooks boast excellent coverage of sports and leagues from across the globe, with a particular emphasis on the Big Four and national college championships.
NFL: The New Orleans Saints won their last Super Bowl in 2010, with the help of future Hall of Fame quarterback Drew Brees and head coach Sean Payton. With them gone, the team has struggled in recent seasons, failing to make the playoffs since 2020. The Saints made a significant acquisition with former Las Vegas quarterback Derek Carr, in hopes of restoring relevance to the franchise.
NBA: The New Orleans Pelicans, originally the New Orleans Hornets, were renamed in the 2013 season, after the team’s relocation in 2002 from Charlotte. The Pelicans have yet to make significant strides in the NBA; in 20 seasons, they’ve reached the playoffs eight times, won two series, and never advanced beyond the Western Conference semi-finals.
MLB: Louisiana does not host an MLB franchise, but according to Vivid Seats, Houston Astros tickets see the highest percentage of sales in the state. The Astros have achieved considerable success in recent years, claiming two World Series championships (2017, 2022) and currently are in the MLB playoffs.
NHL: Louisiana also lacks an NHL franchise, but the Dallas Stars tickets dominate sales in the state, according to Vivid Seats. Formerly the Minnesota North Stars, the team relocated in the 1993-94 season and swiftly found success, winning the Stanley Cup in the 1998-99 season. The Stars have sustained their high performance with four playoff appearances in the last five seasons, including a trip to the Stanley Cup Finals.
College Sports: The LSU Tigers are the flagship college program in Louisiana, boasting a rich history in college football, including four National Championships, the latest in 2019 under quarterback Joe Burrow. The LSU women’s basketball team claimed the school’s most recent championship, winning the National Title in the 2022-23 season.
Features Available on a Louisiana Sports Betting Site
- Live streaming: The live streaming option allows bettors to watch the games live in HD and place bets on the game as it unfolds.
- Competitive pricing: Louisiana betting sites can offer great pricing largely thanks to the betting tax as low as 10% if you bet in an onsite sportsbook, which is below the average in the country.
- Excellent coverage: You can find odds and lines for multiple sports that are hosted nationally and in other countries.
- Extensive range of betting markets: Besides the standard moneylines, point spreads, and totals, Louisiana sportsbooks offer Same Game Parlays, micro betting, and other features.
- Reliable payment methods: The banking methods in Louisiana betting sites include PayPal, Visa, Mastercard, Discover, ACH, PayNearMe, online banking, and even cash at casino options for facilitating fast deposits and withdrawals.
- User-focused promotions: Most Louisiana sports betting sites’ promos have only 1x wagering requirements, especially first-bet bonuses, so you can have a decent shot at clearing them.
How to Create an Account on a Louisiana Betting Site
The account registration process is pretty simple and takes no more than a couple of minutes. Here are the steps you need to take to start betting online in Louisiana:
- Choose one of the betting sites from our list and click the pertaining link to get to its official page.
- Click on the Join Now/Register button.
- Fill out the registration form by providing personal information, including name, email, address, date of birth, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
- Insert a promo code in the designated field to activate the bonus.
- Hit the “Submit” button to finalize the process.
The information you provided will allow the sportsbook to verify your account automatically. Should that prove to be difficult for some reason, you’ll have to provide copies of your ID, such as a passport or driver’s license, together with proof of funds and address to complete the necessary KYC.
How to Deposit on a Louisiana Betting Site
Depositing on a Louisiana betting site is equally easy as registering. Here’s how you do it:
- Log in to your account.
- Head to the Cashier/Banking page of your account.
- Choose the deposit method.
- Insert the amount you wish to deposit.
- Confirm the transaction.
The funds should appear in your balance almost immediately, no matter the payment method. Also, Louisiana online sportsbooks do not charge any fees for deposits.
Most Popular Deposit Methods on Louisiana Betting Sites
|Deposit method||Best for|
|PayPal||Fast processing times|
|Visa||Reputable financial institution|
|Mastercard||Great for deposits and withdrawals|
|Discover||Popular card in the U.S.|
|Online banking||Convenience and wide acceptance|
|Cash at cage||Instant withdrawals|
Sports Betting Law and Regulations in Louisiana
Louisiana operates differently than other states when it comes to sports betting legalization. Instead of the state deciding to legalize sports betting as a whole, each parish (or county) was allowed to vote on whether to allow sports betting in its territory. 55 of the 64 parishes in the state voted to accept sports betting. In the parishes that declined, sports gambling is not allowed; to place a bet, one must travel to a parish that allows it.
Louisiana Sports Betting History
In November 2020, the state’s 64 parishes voted on whether they wanted to legalize sports gambling. As a result, 55 of the 64 parishes voted in favor of sports betting. Onsite sports betting was launched in November 2021, online sports betting would be available in January 2022.
Current Situation in Louisiana for Sports Betting
There are currently 20 casinos in the state that have sports betting (15 riverboat casinos, four horse tracks, and one land-based casino). There could be up to 40 online sportsbooks, as each licensee could have two skins.
The Next Step for Sports Betting Regulation in Louisiana
In 2023, the betting pool in Louisiana got a little smaller when WynnBet went offline.
Responsible Gambling in Louisiana
Louisiana sports betting operators are obligated to offer deposit, spend, session, and other types of limits to help players keep their betting in check. Time-outs and self-exclusion programs are also mandatory responsible gambling tools, as well as partnerships with independent, helpful organizations such as the National Council on Problem Gambling, all in order to help players bet responsibly.
Louisiana Sports Betting Tax Rate
Sports betting operators must pay a 10% tax on the net when wagering at an onsite sportsbook and 15% when placing a bet online.